Entertainment Weekly recently released a list of the 100 greatest movie moments of all time, and it’s safe to say that the list is filled with iconic scenes that will be remembered for years to come. Here are some of the greatest moments from the list:
1. The shower scene from Psycho (1960): This moment in Alfred Hitchcock’s classic horror film has become one of the most famous scenes in movie history. The scene is known for its intense violence and the use of a striking music score that has become synonymous with terror.
2. The “I’ll be back” scene from The Terminator (1984): Arnold Schwarzenegger’s famous line has become a catchphrase that is instantly recognizable to movie fans around the world. The scene itself is an iconic moment within the larger story of the film, serving as a prelude to the Terminator’s unstoppable pursuit of his targets.
3. The “I am your father” scene from Star Wars: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back (1980): This moment revealed a shocking twist in the Star Wars saga, as Darth Vader tells Luke Skywalker that he is his father. It’s a moment that has become an indelible part of popular culture and has been endlessly debated and analyzed by fans of the franchise.
4. The dance scene from Pulp Fiction (1994): This scene, in which Vincent Vega (John Travolta) and Mia Wallace (Uma Thurman) dance the twist at Jack Rabbit Slim’s, is a masterclass in cinematic suspense. The tension builds as Mia overdoses on heroin and Vincent has to revive her with an adrenaline shot.
5. The “Here’s Johnny!” scene from The Shining (1980): Jack Nicholson’s maniacal performance in Stanley Kubrick’s horror masterpiece is unforgettable, and this scene, in which his character Jack Torrance hacks his way through a bathroom door, has become one of the most iconic moments in movie history.
The list is full of many other great moments, from the epic battles in The Lord of the Rings trilogy to the heart-wrenching finale of Casablanca. What makes these movie moments so great is their ability to capture the essence of the film, leaving a lasting impression on audiences and immersing them in the story being told onscreen.
While there are plenty of great movie moments left off the list, Entertainment Weekly has done a fantastic job of showcasing some of the most enduring and unforgettable scenes in cinema history. These moments have become a part of our cultural lexicon, referenced and celebrated in pop culture and beyond. They are a testament to the power of film to move and inspire us, and will continue to be cherished for generations to come.