There’s something special about stand-up comedians that has us coming back for more humorous musings on life. They offer a much-needed break from the stresses of work and everyday life, allowing us to forget our problems for just a little while and laugh out loud.
And what a year it has been! 2020 saw the landscape of comedy change with the pandemic shutdowns leading to many comedians turning to virtual platforms to perform their material. But as we head into 2021, there are plenty of comedians that we should be following for their unrelenting wit, observational humor, and incredible timing.
Here are the best stand-up comedians to follow in 2021.
1. Ali Wong – This Netflix star is one of the biggest names in stand-up comedy right now. Her material on motherhood, marriage, and Asian-American identity has won over audiences worldwide.
2. Trevor Noah – The Daily Show host has been a stand-up comedian for over a decade, and his insights on race, nationality, and politics are always worth listening to. The South African star will keep you entertained whether he’s on stage or in front of a camera.
3. Michelle Buteau – An outspoke woman of color and mother, Michelle Buteau is just as unapologetic as she is hilarious. She offers progressive stand-up and shares a brand of humor that is uniquely her own.
4. Sebastian Maniscalco – With his hearty Italian accent and goofy demeanor, Sebastian Maniscalco is great for a lighthearted laugh. His observational humor highlights the funny aspects of life, and his knack for storytelling is a treat.
5. Dave Chappelle – Chappelle’s uncompromising style of comedy never fails to ruffle feathers and spark significant conversations. Whether through his stand-up specials or his shows, he’s always provocative and thought-provoking.
6. Amy Schumer – With her signature unfiltered and fearless style, Amy Schumer dominates the comedy scene. She challenges conventional norms and offers brutally honest takes on the human condition, reflecting her personal struggles with body image and relationships.
7. Hasan Minhaj – The comedian offers a unique perspective on issues such as race, politics, and identity that fans find refreshing and entertaining. His blend of comedy and commentary has earned him numerous accolades, including his popular show on Netflix, Patriot Act.
8. Tiffany Haddish – The comedian is not afraid to speak her mind, which is reflected in her stand-up routines. Her witty takes on life are hilarious, and her energetic, vibrant personality is infectious.
9. John Mulaney – John Mulaney is known for his dry, deadpan humor and storytelling. The comedian can take any situation and spin it into a hysterical joke, making him a must-follow this year.
10. Bill Burr – With over three decades of experience in the comedy scene, Bill Burr should be on every list of the best stand-up comedians to follow. Burr is concise, unapologetic, and irreverent, covering everything from politics to personal struggles, comedy gold.
In conclusion, these stand-up comedians are worth following in 2021 for their insightful, witty, and thought-provoking material. Whether you are watching them on television or streaming them on Netflix, their unique voices and perspectives will undoubtedly leave you laughing and inspired.