As we enter into the autumn season, the movie industry is thriving with new releases. With the pandemic, streaming services have been our go-to source for entertainment. However, as movie theaters begin to slowly re-open, it’s time to hit the cinema and catch up on what’s playing.
Here are our top picks for must-see movies now playing:
1. “Dune”: Based on the novel by Frank Herbert, “Dune” is directed by Denis Villeneuve and stars Timothée Chalamet, Zendaya, and Jason Momoa. The sci-fi epic follows the journey of Paul Atreides, a young nobleman, as he navigates a hostile desert world to secure the future of his family and his people.
2. “No Time To Die”: The 25th entry in the James Bond series, “No Time To Die” marks Daniel Craig’s final appearance as the iconic spy. Directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga, the film sees Bond come out of retirement to face off against a mysterious villain (Rami Malek) who possesses dangerous new technology.
3. “The Many Saints of Newark”: A prequel to the HBO hit series “The Sopranos,” “The Many Saints of Newark” takes us back to the 1960s as we follow the rise of young Tony Soprano (Michael Gandolfini, son of the late James Gandolfini) in the midst of the Newark riots. The film is directed by Alan Taylor, who helmed several episodes of “The Sopranos.”
4. “The French Dispatch”: Directed by Wes Anderson, “The French Dispatch” is a love letter to journalism in the form of a quirky, ensemble dramedy. The film features an all-star cast including Tilda Swinton, Bill Murray, Frances McDormand, and Timothée Chalamet (again!).
5. “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings”: Marvel Cinematic Universe’s latest addition to the franchise, “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” stars Simu Liu as the titular character and marks the first Asian-led superhero film in the MCU. The film follows Shang-Chi as he confronts his father and the Ten Rings organization.
6. “The Last Duel”: Ridley Scott’s “The Last Duel” is a medieval epic based on a true story and features a screenplay by Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, and Nicole Holofcener. The film stars Damon, Affleck, and Adam Driver as three knights whose lives become entangled in a fight to the death.
7. “Venom: Let There Be Carnage”: The sequel to 2018’s “Venom,” “Let There Be Carnage” sees Tom Hardy’s Eddie Brock/Venom face off against the formidable serial killer Cletus Kasady/Carnage (Woody Harrelson). The film is directed by Andy Serkis, who is best known for his motion-capture performances in “The Lord of the Rings” and “The Planet of the Apes” franchises.
These are just a few of the many exciting movies playing now in theaters. With a blend of sci-fi epics, superhero action, ensemble dramedies, and everything in between, there’s never been a better time to catch a movie on the big screen.